Spring 2018 Semester
CHEM 9 - Everyday Chemistry
Lecture: Mondays and Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m. - 12:45 p.m. in SCI 155
Lab Section 1354: Tuesdays, 10 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. in SCI 301
Lab Section 1355: Thursdays, 10 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. in SCI 301
Problem-solving sessions: come for all or part of the session - all students are welcome!
Tuesdays, 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. in the conference room of the Science Learning Resource Center (SCI 247);
Thursdays, 12:45 - 1:15 p.m. in SCI 217 (located in the 2nd floor lobby of Science Bldg, across from the Science Learning Resource Center)
Enrolled students: You must be present for the first three weeks of lecture and labs for attendance/roll-call or you will be dropped. You can log on to eCompanion for the active course website.
Class adds: Both sections are currently filled to capacity. There is an official wait pool (via SMC) that you may enroll in to increase your chances of getting into the class. Spaces that open up in the course are first offered to wait pool students. If you are not in the wait pool, you may come on the first day of lecture and add your name to the wait-list for open spots.
For both wait pool and wait list students, you must be present for every lecture and lab to remain eligible for open spots. After spots have been offered to wait pool students, there is a random lottery for wait list students. Students will be contacted by email with add information (if their number is chosen). Students not present for attendance, will no longer be on the wait pool or wait list, and thus ineligible for add codes.
Required lecture materials:
· standard calculator – TI-30XA calculator is recommended; no graphing calculators allowed
· textbook – Chemistry in Context, by American Chemical Society (any edition)
· online access to Connect (free with new textbook purchased from SMC bookstore, or purchase directly from site)
· worksheets pack - purchase from instructor at second lecture
Required lab materials:
· SMC lab locker check-in card (purchase at SMC bookstore, ask as front/cash registers)
· laboratory safety goggles – must bring for every lab session
· standard lab coat – must bring for every lab session
· Lab Experiments are online and must be printed out every week: http://www.smc.edu/AcademicPrograms/PhysicalSciences/Pages/Chem-9-Experiments.aspx
Last update: 02/26/18