Spring 2013 Semester
CHEM 9 - Everyday Chemistry
Lecture: Wednesdays and Fridays, 3:00 p.m. - 5:15 p.m. - SCI 153
Lab Section 1297: Wednesdays, 12:15 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. - SCI 322
Lab Section 1298: Fridays, 12:15 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. - SCI 322
Problem-solving sessions: Tuesdays, 10 - 11 a.m. in the conference room of the Science Learning Resource Center (SCI 247)
Enrolled students: You must be present for the first three weeks of lecture and labs for attendance/roll-call or you will be dropped. You can log on to eCompanion for the active course website.
Class adds: Both sections are currently filled to capacity. There is an official wait pool (via SMC) that you may enroll in to increase your chances of getting into the class. Spaces that open up in the course are first offered to wait pool students. If you are not in the wait pool, you may come on the first day of lecture and add your name to the wait-list for open spots.
For both wait pool and wait list students, you must be present for every lecture and lab to remain eligible for open spots. After spots have been offered to wait pool students, there is a random lottery for wait list students. Students will be contacted by email with add information (if their number is chosen). Students not present for attendance, will no longer be on the wait pool or wait list, and thus ineligible for add codes.
Required lecture materials:
· standard calculator – TI-30XA calculator is recommended; no graphing calculators allowed
· textbook – Chemistry in Context, by American Chemical Society
· online access to Connect (free with new textbook purchased from SMC bookstore, or purchase separately for $39.99)
Required lab materials:
· SMC lab locker check-in card
· laboratory safety goggles – must bring for every lab session
· standard lab coat – must bring for every lab session
· Lab Experiments are online and must be printed out every week: http://www.smc.edu/AcademicPrograms/PhysicalSciences/Pages/Chem-9-Experiments.aspx
SMC Chemistry Club - Tuesdays, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m - SCI 155
Join the club! Our schedule this semester includes:
Meet new friends, hear interesting speakers throughout the semester, learn about scholarship and summer research opportunities, participate in chemistry experiment demos, take a field trip to the UCLA Chemistry Dept, perform demos at Club Row, fundraise through safety goggles sales, see presentations by chemistry faculty and students doing research at SMC, and participate in our elementary school outreach program.
Join the SMC Chem Club Facebook Group to see regular updates of our club meetings
Last update: 02/19/13