Instructions: YOU MUST ATTACH ALL WORK BEFORE THIS EXAM WILL BE ACCEPTED. Answers will be provided at that time.
1. Write the equation for the solubility equilibrium of tin (II) carbonate.
a. Sn(CO3)2(s) ------- Sn2+(aq) + CO3 2-(aq)
b. Sn(CO2)2(s) ------- Sn2+(s) + CO2 2-(aq)
c. SnCO3 (s) ------- Sn2+(aq) + CO3 2-(aq)
d. SnCO2 (s) ------- Sn2+(s) + CO2 2-(aq)
2. Which of the following is a chemical change?
a. burning gasoline.
b. dissolving salt in water.
c. separating components of oil by distillation.
d. grinding beef in a meat grinder.
3. When the following equation is completed and properly balanced (lowest integer coefficient) the products are:
aqueous sodium nitrate + aqueous ammonium chloride ------- ?
a. No reaction
b. NaCl(aq) + NH4NO3(aq)
c. NaClO3(aq) + NH3(aq)
d. NaClO(aq) + HNO3(aq)
4. The electron configuration of the fluoride ion is:
5. One of the isotopes of mercury has a mass number of 196. How many neutrons are contained in the nucleus of this isotope?
6. Which contains the greatest number of hydrogen atoms?
a. 2.02 grams of hydrogen molecules
b. 1.00 mole of hydrogen molecules
c. 6.02 X 1023 molecules of hydrogen
d. all of the above contain the same number of hydrogen atom
7. The reaction -
heat N2(g) + 2 02(g) --------------2 NO2(g)
is at equilibrium in a container. Which condition given below would cause the equilibrium reaction to shift to the left?
a. increase the pressure
b. increase the heat
c. increase the number of moles of 0
d. increase the number of moles of NO
8. Nitrogen reacts with hydrogen to form ammonia. How many grams of ammonia will be formed from 14.0 grams of nitrogen and 2.02 grams of hydrogen?
a. 5.61 g
b. 11.3 g
c. 17.0 g
d. 8.50 g
9. What is formula for the compound that will form between the magnesium ion and the oxide ion?
10. At 400oC and 765 torr, how many liters of oxygen will be produced by the thermal decomposition of 2.00 grams of potassium chlorate, (note: products of this decomposition are well you know)?
a. 0.165 L
b. 97.9 L
c. 0.796 L
d. 1.34 L
11. The formula for sodium peroxide is:
12. Hydrogen reacts with nitrogen to produce ammonia. At STP, all the reactants and products are gases. How many moles of ammonia will be produced by the reaction of 9.0 L of hydrogen at STP?
a. 0.268 mol
b. 6.0 mol
c. 0.134 mol
d. 0.603 mol
13. Which of the following is the IUPAC name for NH4Br?
a. nitrogen tetrahydrogen bromide
b. ammonia bromide
c. ammonium bromide
d. ammonia bromine
14. What is the ammonium ion concentration in a 0.938 M aqueous ammonium phosphate solution?
a. 2.81 M
b. 0.938 M
c. 0.313 M
d. not enough information
15. Which of the following answers is correct for the element whose abbreviated electron configuration is [Xe] 546s24f7?
a. The element is a lanthanide inner-transition metal.
b. The element is a 6th period transition metal.
c. The element is a 7th period representative nonmetal.
d. The element is a metalloid.
16. Which of the following is the correct, balanced equation for the reaction between calcium and nitrogen that forms calcium nitride?
a. 3 Ca + 2 N --------- Ca3N2
b. 2 Ca + 3 N ----------- Ca2N3
c. 3 Ca + N2 -------------Ca3N2
d. Ca + N2 -------------- CaN2
17. The reaction
heat + H2(g) + I2(g) forms 2 HI(g)
is at equilibrium in a container. Which condition given below would cause the equilibrium reaction to shift to the right?
a. decrease the number of moles of HI
b. decrease the number of moles of H
c. decrease the temperature
d. increase the pressure
18. Which of the following answers represents a polyprotic acid?
19. When the following equation is completed and properly balanced the products are:
aqueous lead(II) acetate + aqueous potassium sulfate
a. No reaction
b. Pb(SO4)2(s) + 2 KC2H3O2 (aq)
c. PbSO4(s) + 2 KC2H3O2
d. PbSO3(s) + 2 K(C2H3O2)2
20. The reaction of a carboxylic acid with an alcohol, in the presence of an acid catalyst, produces a(n):
d. none of the above
21. Which of the following is classified as a transition metal?
22. How many orbital make up the 7s sublevel?
a. 1 b. 3 c. 5 d. 7
23. How many electrons and to what side of the equation should the electrons be added in order to balance the charges for the following incomplete half-reaction?
C2O42- forms CO2 (acid)
a. 2 electrons; right side
b. 2 electrons; left side
c. 4 electrons; right side
d. 4 electrons; left side
24. Covalent bonding is:
a. the force of attraction between opposite charges on adjacent ions.
b. the force of attraction between opposite charges on adjacent dipoles.
c. the sharing of electrons throughout all of the atoms in a piece of metal.
d. the sharing of electrons between two adjacent atoms.
25. Which of the following represents an atom in the excited state?
a. He2: ls2
b. N7: ls22s22p3
c. Hl: 2sl
d. C6: ls22s22p2
26. What is the pH of a 3.2 X 10-9 M NaOH solution?
a. 8.49 b. 5. 51 c. 10.2 d. 4.62
27. Consider the following equation:
NH3 + H2O forms NH4+ + OH-
a. An Arrhenius acid, A Bronsted-Lowry acid and A Lewis acid
b. An Arrhenius base, A Bronsted-Lowry base, and a Lewis base
c. A Bronsted-Lowry base and a Lewis base
d. A Bronsted-Lowry acid and a Lewis Acid
28. Which element listed below has the highest electronegativity?
a. Ca b. Cl c. B d. Sn
29. Strontium consist of the four naturally occuring isotopes listed below. The atomic mass of strontium is 87.62. Which of these atom is more prevalent?
30. The bond between magnesium ion and the sulfate ion is-
b. polar covalent
c. nonpolar covalent
d. a metallic bond
31. Write the formula for calcium nitride.
d. none of the above
32. A solution was prepared by dissolving 0.0130 g of strontium sulfate in enough water to make 125 mL of solution. What is the strontium ion concentration and the Ksp for the solution?
a. [Sr2+] = 7.07 X 10-5 M, Ksp = 5.65 X 10-4
b. [Sr2+] = 8.83 X 10-6 M, Ksp = 7.80 X 10-11
c. [Sr2+] = 5.65 X 10-4 M, Ksp = 3.19 X 10-7
d. [Sr2+] = 0.104 M, Ksp = 1.08 X 10-2
33. In a reaction of 24.3 grams of magnesium with 35.5 grams of chlorine, what mass of product will be formed?
a. 104 g b. 95.3 g c. 47.6 g d. 12.2 g
34. A crmpound consisting of hydrogen and oxygen was analyzed. Its composition consisted of 5.94% H and 94.1% 0, by mass. Its molecular mass was determined to be 34.0 amu. The compound was:
c. hydrogen peroxide
d. none of the above
35. Solve the following equation: 6.3 X 105 + 4.4 X 104
a. 10.7 X 105
b. 6.7 X 105
c. 6.74 X 105
d. 10.7 X 105
36. Which of the following statements best defines an experiment?
a. A procedure for making carefully controlled observations.
b. A description of an observed regularity in nature.
c. A statement of a possible explanations for an observed regularity in nature.
d. A set of hypothesis that is trusted because tests have confirmed its validity.
37. Which of the following is correctly represented with the proper number of significant digits?
a. (4.56 + 8.7) / (1.23 X 10-3) = 1.08 x 104
b. (1.54 X 10-3) + (2.11 X 10-2) = 2.264 X 10-2
c. (1.54 X 10-3) X (2.11 X 102) = 3.249 X 104
d. 8.19 X 102 - 1.45 X 102 = 6.740 X 102
38. The oxidation number for phosphorus in H2PO3- is:
a. 0 b. -3 c. +3 d. +5
39. When the following equation is completed and properly balanced the products are:
Nitric acid + aqueous barium hydroxide forms
a. No reaction
b. Ba(NO3)2(aq) + 2 H2O(l)
c. BaNO3(aq) + H(OH)2(l)
d. Ba3(NO2)(aq) + H2O(l)
40. Ammonia reacts with chlorine to form nitrogen trichloride and hydrogen chloride. What is the mathematical equation for the relationship between moles of ammonia and moles of hydrogen chloride?
a. 1 mol NH3 = 3 mol HCl
b. 1 mol NH 3 = 1 mol HCl
c. 3 mol NH4 = 1 mol HCl
d. 0 mol NH3 = 3 mol HCl
41.Which of the following equations represents an exergonic (not just exothermic) reaction?
1. C2H4 + 3 02 yields 2 CO2 + 2 H2O + heat
2. 2 NaCl + electricity yields 2 Na + C12
3. 2 Mg + O2 ---> 2 MgO + light
4. 2 KC1O3 + energy yields 2 KCl + 3 O2
a. 1 only b. 4 only
c. 1 and 3 d. 2 and 4
42. At STP, solid calcium reacts with oxygen gas to produce solid calcium oxide. How many milligrams of calcium oxide will be produced by the reaction of 295 milliliters of oxygen?
a. 1.90 X 104 mg
b. 1.90 X 106 mg
c. 1.48 X 106 mg
d. 1.48 X 103 mg
43. Which of the following is an incorrect statement about significant digits?
a. All non-zero digits are significant.
b. Zeroes to the right of the decimal place and to the right of a non-zero digit are significant.
c. Zeroes to the right of the decimal place which begins a number are significant.
d. Zeroes that end a number before the decimal may be significant.
44. The speed of light is 3.00 X 108 m/s. What is the speed of light in miles/hour?
a. 6.71 X 108 mi/hr b. 1.86 X 10-5 mi/hr
c. 1.34 X 108 mi/hr d. 1.74 X 1015 mi/hr
45. Calculate the frequency for a form of electromagnetic radiation whose wavelength is 5.29 X 10-11 m.
a. 1.76 X 10-19 Hz
b. 0.0567 Hz
c. 5.67 X 1018 Hz
d. 0.0159 Hz
46. An electron moving between two energy levels emitted light with a wavelength of 589 nm. What was the energy of the emitted radiation?
a. 3.38 X 106 J
b. 3.38 X 10-19 J
c. 4.00 X 106 J
d. can not be determined
47. A sample of gas has a volume of 860 mL at a temperature of 12oC. The gas is heated to 664oC while kept at constant pressure. What is the volume at this temperature?
a. 0.262 L b. 47.6 L c. 0.311 L d. 2.83 L
48. Which one of the following statements is incorrect?
a. A dipole is a particle that carries a negative charge at one end and a positive charge at the other end.
b. Sublimation is the process in which particles at the surface of a piece of a solid break free from the solid forming a gas.
c. The rate at which the particles in a solid or liquid move is not proportional to the temperature.
d. Evaporation is the process in which rapidly moving particles of a liquid break free from the liquid forming a gas.
49. How many milliliters of 0.50 M aqueous silver nitrate will be needed to provide 1.0 grams of silver nitrate?
a. 29 mL b. 2.0 mL c. 85 mL d. 12 mL
50. Which of the following half-reactions is properly balanced?
a. As + 3 H2O yields H3AsO3 + 6 H+ + 6 e-
b. 6 e- + 14 H+ + Cr2O72- yields 2 Cr3+ + 7 H2O
c. 2 e- + H2O + HNO2 yields NO3- + 3 H+
d. 4 H+ + MnO2 yields Mn2+ + 2 H2O + 2 e-
51. In the neutralization of aqueous acetic acid with aqueous
sodium hydroxide, 55.7 mL of 0.100 M sodium hydroxide was required to react with 15.0 mL of acetic acid. What was the molarity of the acetic acid solution?
a. 1.20 M b. 0.0120 M c. 0.372 M d. 0.0269 M
52.The electron configuration for the oxide ion is:
a. 1s2 2s2 2p6
c. 1s2 2s2 2p4
d. 1s2 2s2
53. Of the following inter-particle forces, which one would the relative strength be proportional to the number of electrons per particle?
a. metallic bonding
b. covalent bonding
c. dipole-dipole interactions
d. London forces (Dispersion forces)
54. A sample of carbon dioxide gas had a volume of 157 mL at 75oC and 551 torr. What pressure will it exert when it is at 224 mL and 25oC?
a. 673 mm Hg b. 331 torr
c. 129 torr d. 27.7 an Hg
55.For the reaction in which calcium reacts with water to form calcium hydroxide and hydrogen, solve the following: How many water molecules will be needed to react with 20.1 g of calcium?
a. 3.02 X 10 23 molecules b. 6.04 X 10 23 molecules c. 6. 01 X Io 2 5 molecules d. 1.20 X 10 24 molecules
56. Aluminum reacts with iron(III) oxide to form aluminum oxide and iron. How many moles of iron will be formed from 0.500 moles of aluminum reacting with excess iron(III) oxide?
a. 0.500 mol b. 1.00 mol c. 2.00 mol d. 4.00 mol
57. The percentage composition for calcium phosphate is:
a. 23.1% Ca 15.4% P 61.5% O
b. 46.0% Ca 35.6% P 18.4% O
c. 38.8% Ca 20.0% P 41.3% O
d. 46.5% Ca 34.9% P 18.6% O
58. The name for AIH3 is:
a. aluminum hydride
b. aluminum(III) hydride
c. aluminum trihydride
d. aluminum trihydrogen
59. What type of reaction is represented by the following equation?
2 NaHCO3 forms Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O
a. combination b. decomposition c. combustion d. double replacement
60.Calculate the density, in g/mL, of 0.213 ml of phosphorus trichloride gas at
355oC and 769 torr.
a. 2.70 X 10-3 g/mL b. 2.69 X 10-4 g/mL
b. 4.20 X 10-5 g/mL d. can not be determined
61.The element with a valence-electron configuration of 2s1 is:
a. the alkaline-earth metal, Li
b. the nonmetal hydrogen
c. the alkali metal, Li
d. incapable of being identified with the information given
62.What interparticle (intermolecular) forces(s) is (are) present in the liquid state for hydrogen iodide?
1. London forces
2. Dipole-dipole interactions
3. Hydrogen bonding
a. 1 and 3
b. 1 and 2
c. 1, 2 and 3
d. some other combination
63. Which of the following answers are the substances arra-nged in order of increasing boiling points?
a. N2 < NaCl < H2O < Ne
b. Ne < N2 < H2O < NaCl
C. NaCl < H2O < Ne < N2
d. H2O < NaCl < N2 < Ne
64. In a solution of lead(II) bromide, the concentration of the lead(II) ion is 2.1 X 10-2M. What is the Ksp for lead(II) bromide?
a. 3.7 X 10-5 b. 9.3 X 10-6
c. 8.8 X 10-4 d. 2.8 X 10-1
65. The total number of valence electrons that must be
represented in the Lewis formula for the phosphate ion is:
a. 26 b. 29 c. 32 d. 28
66. How many protons and electrons are in the anion As3-?
a. 33 protons, 36 electrons
b. 30 protons, 33 electrons
c. 33 protons, 30 electrons
d. 33 protons, 33 electrons
67. Which atom(s) in sulfuric acid would be assigned the "Delta Positive" symbol?
a. H b. S c. O d. both H and S
68. Which of the following compounds is an aromatic hydrocarbon?
69. At STP, what volume would 2.30 g of carbon dioxide occupy?
a. 51.5 L
b. 14.3 L
c. 61.2 L
d. 1.17 L
70. Which contains the greatest number of atoms?
a. 1.00 mole of oxygen
b. 1.00 mole of copper
c. 1.00 mole of water
d. all of the above contain the same number of atoms
Answers: 1.c 2.a 3.a 4.d 5. c 6. d 7d 8b 9 a 10 d 11 c 12 a 13 c 14 a 15 a 16 c 17 a 18 c 19 c 20 c 21 a 22 a 23 a 24 d 25 c 26 b 27 b 28 b 29 d 30 a 31 c 32 c 33 c 34 c 35 b 36 a 37 a 38 c 39 b 40 a 41 c 42 __ 43 __ 44 a 45 __ 46 __ 47 __ 48 c49 d 50 b 51 c 52 a 53 d 54 b 55 __ 56__ 57__ 58 a 59 __ 60 __ 61__ 62 b 63 b 64 __ 65 __ 66__ 67__ 68__ 69 d 70 c
Back to Homepage