Writing a Summary Paragraph
Here are suggestions for how to do it:
- Carefully read the article and circle anything you donít
understand. Consult a classmate, friend, teacher, tutor, dictionary or other
reference source to help you understand any points or references that are
- Underline the main ideas of the article. Underline
significant supporting details.
- Write the main ideas and significant details in your own
words. Try not to copy the original words. However, sometimes you will need
to use special words exactly as they are, especially if the words are
- Use the ideas to write a one-paragraph summary. Begin
the paragraph by citing the source (author, title, source)
and giving the main point of the article.
- Revise for grammar (especially verb forms and word
usage) and mechanics (capitalization, punctuation, and spelling).
- Recopy neatly.