ESL 10W Lab Work for Spring 2010
|Rules to follow in the lab:
1.Sit next to someone who does not speak
your first language.
Work to Complete in the Lab
|15 June 2 & 3||
Final Lab Work
1. Use the SMC homepage and links to answer the questions on the Lab
2. In eCompanion, click on the tab: Writing Assignments and do Writing Assignment 9 in the lab. You have 35 minutes to complete the work.
Please report to LA 243 to start class at 9:45.
|14 May 26 & 27||
1. Go to eCompanion through Corsair Connect from the SMC homepage.
Click on the tab for Homework, Classwork, Journals (on the left).
Select Threaded Discussion #3 and follow the directions. Be sure
to respond to BOTH topics.
2. Practice the Grammar for Chapter 9. Please record your scores on a sheet of paper.
3. Review the vocabulary and do the reading exercises for Chapter 9. Please record your scores on the same sheet of paper you used to record the grammar work.
4. If you have completed the work above, you may explore this site on relationships posted by the magazine Psychology Today. Write a sentence or two about any of the articles you read.
|13 May 19 & 21||
1. Complete any work you did not complete last week:
Grammar for Chapter 7 or
Vocabulary and Reading Exercises for Chapter 7. Record your
results on a sheet of paper, and use it for the results for adjective
clauses as well.
2. Review the basics of forming sentences with
adjective (relative) clauses. Do these exercises and record your
results on a sheet of paper:
3. Open eCompanion through Corsair Connect (at Current Students on the SMC homepage). Check your grades to see if you have any missing assignments. Then enter Threaded Discussion #2 (under Homework, Classwork, Journals at the left). Read the directions and post a response. You should also read what your classmates have written and respond to one or two of your classmates. This is a graded assignment.
4. If eCompanion is not working, please work on the following exercises:
|12 May 12 & 13||
1. Browse and skim one or both of these health
websites and find out suggestions for how to live a healthy lifestyle.
Then on a sheet of paper sum up the points by starting like this:
According to the Mayo Clinic website... or The
Kaiser-Permanente website describes how...
Kaiser-Permanente "Live Healthy"
Mayo Clinic "Healthy Lifestyle"
This is a graded writing assignment. Try to write at least 8 sentences.
2. Do these exercises to practice the grammar for Chapter 7. Record your results on the same sheet of paper you wrote about how to live a long and healthy life.
3.Do these vocabulary and reading exercises for Chapter 7 and record your results on the same sheet of paper.
4. Print out this page and bring it to class.
5. This is an optional activity to do after you have completed your other work. Take this longevity test or a similar one. Record your results on the same sheet where you recorded your results for the Chapter 7 work.
|11 May 5 & 6||
1. Write an anecdote about a cultural experience.
Use the list on page 115 to get ideas about possible topics. Write
about something that happened to you or someone you know.
Type your story on a Word doc. Please double-space it. Be
sure your name, date, and class section are in the top right-hand
corner. Check spelling, sentence structure, and verbs. Only
turn in your work when you have done your BEST work.
2. Practice the grammar work for Chapter 6. Write your results on a sheet of paper.
3. Do these reading exercises associated with Chapter 6. Write your results on the same sheet of paper where you wrote your results for the grammar exercises.
4. Print out this sheet. If you have time, you can begin working on it.
Please log off by 9:20 and meet in LA 243 at 9:45.
|10 April 28 & 29||
1. Please turn in your journal for Chapter 5.
2. Type up your writing assignment for chapter 5 (page 97, Exercise 5, Choose 1). (Open a Word document. Type your paragraph. Make correction in verbs, spelling, and sentence structure. Be sure to double space it. Put your name, date, and section number on the top right hand corner. Turn in the paper before you leave class.
3. Practice the grammar work for Chapter 5. Write your results on a sheet of paper.
4. Do the reading exercises associated with Chapter 5. Write your results on the same sheet of paper where you wrote your results for the grammar exercises.
5. If you have additional time, you can work
on these verb tense exercises for review and practice:
Please log off by 9:20 and meet in LA 243 at 9:45 to take Test 5.
|9 April 21 & 22||
1. Learn netiquette (network etiquette- good manners
on the web). Go to this site:
2. Take this quiz to see what you know: http://www.albion.com/netiquette/netiquiz.html
3. Do these exercises to practice using a, an, the or no article. On a sheet of paper, record your results for this exercise and all the exercises below.
4. Read this page about combining clauses using coordinating conjunctions, and do the exercises. Record your results on the sheet of paper you used to record your results for the article exercises.
5. Read this page about combining clauses using subordinating conjunctions, and do the exercises. Record your results.
6. Threaded Discussion: Log on to eCompanion through your SMC Student Self Service System. (This is the same portal you use to enroll for classes and pay your bills.) Go to www.smc.edu ==> Current Students==> Student Self Service System==> eCompanion. Go to the link for ESL 10W. At this site you can check your gradebook to see your grades. This is also where you can enter the threaded discussion for this chapter: Threaded Discussion #1. Find Threaded Discussion #1 on the left under the button: Homework, Classwork, Journals. Follow the instructions for Threaded Discussion #1. You must NOT PRINT OUT YOUR WORK. Once you post your response, everyone in the class can read your answer.
Please log out by 9:20 and meet in LA 243 at 9:45. If you have not completed the threaded discussion, you may finish it in the library or at home after class.
|8 April 7 & 8||
In the Community
1. Write a response to one of the questions in
Exercise 5 on the bottom of page 74. Type your answer in a Word
document. Put your name and date at the top right hand corner.
Please double space. Check for spelling, capitalization,
punctuation, grammar, and word use.
2. Do the two vocabulary review exercises and read anecdotes about travel. Then do the After You Read exercise. Write your results on a sheet of paper.
3. If you have time, please do the following review and practice: Grammar for Chapter 4 Write your results on the same sheet of paper where you wrote your reading results.
Please log off by 9:15 and meet in LA 243 by 9:35 for Test #4.
|7 March 31
& April 1
In the Community
1. Type up the assignment you wrote about your food
rules. (Open a Word Document, type your name and date in the top
right hand corner. Double space, and write the sentences like a
paragraph. Be sure to check for correct capitalization,
punctuation, and spelling. Check verbs and word forms. Print
it out and attach the first draft to the back. Turn it in before
the end of class.
2. Find the website for the official website for the City of Santa Monica by going to www.google.com and typing in City of Santa Monica. Print out this sheet. Use information from the website to answer the questions. Please answer the questions in full sentences. Bring the sheet to LA 243 at 9:45.
3. Print out this exercise and bring it to class.
Be sure to log off by 9:20.
4. If you have extra time, you may work on these exercises to practice the grammar for Chapter 4.
|6 March 24 & 25||
1. Capitalization -Review
these rules for capitalization.
Then do the following exercise.
For this exercise you must determine whether the capitalization is correct or not. If it is CORRECT, type in C. If it is incorrect, type I. Then check your work. Record your score on a sheet of paper.
2. Commas- Read through this introduction to the first 3 comma rules, and do the exercise (Using Commas 1 and Using Commas 2). Record your score on the same sheet of paper you used for capitalization.
3. Grammar Review for Chapter 3- Do these three exercises and record your scores.
4. Reading and Vocabulary Review for Chapter 3- Do these vocabulary and reading exercises and record your scores.
|5 March 17||Food
||This work is for section 2026 only:
1. Open a Word document. Type your Writing Assignment #2. Be sure to check for spelling, capitalization, and punctuation. Print out the document. Attach the first draft to the back. Turn it in for a grade.
2. Complete as much of the following as you can. If you run out of time, you may finish it at home.
Please finish your work by 9:15 and meet in LA 243 at 9:40.
|4 March 10 & 11||Weather
||1. Click on the links and do the vocabulary,
reading and grammar exercises for Chapter 2. Record your results
on a sheet of paper. Please write your full name, date, and
section number at the top right hand corner of the paper.
2. On the same sheet of paper, answer the following questions based on information from this site: Click Here/ How Weather Affects Mood Please answer in COMPLETE SENTENCES.
2.1 Where was the research in this report done?
2.2 How many people participated in the study?
2.3 When did most participants begin the study?
2.4 In what seasons does wind have a more negative effect on people's mood?
Please finish your work by 9:15 and meet in LA 243 at 9:40.
|3 March 3 & 4||Experiencing Nature
|1. Open a Word Document. In the top
right-hand corner, type your FULL NAME, the date, and your section
number. Type in what you wrote on higher education in your country.
Check for spelling, capitalization, and grammar errors. Double
space and leave one-inch margins. Print it out, attach the first
draft to the back of the paper, and turn it in.
Please log out and leave the lab by 9:20 to allow the next class to enter. Meet in LA 243 at 9:40.
|2 Feb 24 & 25||Academic Life
||1. Log on and go to the SMC homepage.
2. Find the ESL Department Homepage. On a piece of paper, write your full name and date on the right hand corner. On the paper, list 5 resources you can find on the SMC ESL Department Homepage and its links.
3. Practice the grammar for Chapter 1 in Interactions (Part 1, Part 2--activities 1 & 2, and Part 3). Please write the results (scores ONLY) on the same paper you used for question 2.
4. Practice reading and vocabulary for Chapter 1 in Interactions (Vocabulary 1, Vocabulary 2, Read and After You Read). Please write the results on the same piece of paper you used for #2 and #3.
5. At the end of the lab session, please turn in your sheet with 1) the list of 5 resources from the ESL Dept homepage; 2) results (scores) from your grammar exercises for Chapter 1; and 3) results from the reading and vocabulary exercises for Chapter 1.
Please report to LA 243 by 9:30.
|1 Feb 17 & 18||
|1. Follow the instructor's directions to
2. Go to the SMC homepage and find the following:
3. Find your instructor's homepage and syllabus. Bookmark the lab page so that you may easily find it when you come to the lab.