||The Dale Ride Internship
Designed in 1991 as a pilot program, the Dale Ride Internship honors
the memory of Dr. Dale Ride, Professor of Political Science, administrator, and political
activist on behalf of the SMC community. The program offers SMC
students internship opportunities that
- enable students to participate in legislative and administrative processes and
politics--locally, statewide or nationally, in governmental or non-governmental agencies;
- broaden students' awareness of and vision in pursuing public service as a possible career
- complement the curriculum for both Political Science majors and those in other
disciplines that have significant public service/public policy components with practical,
Summer 2004 Internships
To be eligible for a Dale Ride Internship award, applicants must:
Special Note: Because of heightened security throughout government agencies, you
may be subjected to a thorough security background check. If you believe there
may be personal or family circumstances (criminal record, financial problems,
illegal residency, for example) that would not be acceptable in such a check, please
discuss your situation with Vice President Marvin Martinez (310-434-4199) prior
to submitting your application.
- Be enrolled as a student at Santa Monica College in the Spring 2004
semester. Because of the Washington D.C. internship schedule, students may
be asked to enroll in only eight week spring classes, so they can be
available to early travel;
- Cumulative 3.0 GPA;
- Have completed, or will complete before Summer 2004 one of the following
- Political Science 1 or 21, or
- History 11, 12, 16, 43, 46, or 52
- Complete and submit an application form and all other required materials
no later than December 5, 2003.
Along with the completed application, students must submit:
- An essay, no longer than two, double-spaced typed pages, describing your
interest in public service and your academic and/or career objectives;
- A current transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable) of all college courses you
- Three letters of recommendation, at least two of which from Santa Monica College faculty
members, attesting to your qualifications, competence, and integrity.
Submit completed applications and accompanying materials to: Dale Ride
Internship, c/o Felice Farber, Development Coordinator, SMC Foundation, 2714 Pico Boulevard, Santa
Monica, CA 90405. You may call (310) 434-4215.
2001 Dale Ride Interns
© Santa Monica College, Photographer John Samargis
Superintendent/President Dr. Piedad F. Robertson; Intern Annie Bird; Trustee
Herb Roney; Intern Maria D. Pineda; Faculty Adviser Alan D. Buckley; Intern Mark C.
Intern Naomi Bebo; Trustee Nancy Catell-Luckenbach.
Seated: Trustee Annette Shamey; Program Founder Joyce Ride; Trustee Dorothy Ehrhart-Morrison.
Summer 2001 White House Interns
Standing immediately to President Bush's right is Dale Ride Intern, Maria D. Pineda.
Santa Monica College | Social Science Department